Saturday, March 14, 2009

Speaking about the past and the present

Many times instead of saying "I talk", you can say: "I am talking", or instead of saying "I spoke", you can say: "I was talking". In Spanish, sometimes it is easier to remember these tenses because you only have to remember the conjugation of "estar" in present and the imperfect and add a verb that ends in "ando" for "ar" ending verbs and "endo" (for "er" ending verbs). Here are some examples:
Examples:
Yesterday...........Now:
I was talking,.....
............I am talking
Estaba hablando............Estoy Hablando


I was thinking................I am thinking
Estaba pensando............Estoy pensando

I was writing..................I am writing
Estaba escribiendo.......Estoy escribiendo

I was watching..............I am watching
Estaba mirando.............Estoy mirando

Estar/Imperfect Estar/Present
Yo estaba.......................Yo estoy
Tu estabas......................Tu estás
El Estaba.........................El está
Nosotros estábamos......Nosotros estamos
Ellos estaban...................Ellos están

No comments: